The First Congregational Church of Sharon is the oldest denomination in Sharon. As we cherish our heritage of faith we also celebrate the mission and work before us.

It was in 1740 that the residents of this area petitioned the governor asking to become a separate town or precinct, since it was too far for them to travel to the nearest church at Canton Corner. The support of public worship on Sundays was required according to colonial laws. During 1742 the local inhabitants built the first church which was known as the First Congregational Parish. This church was situated on the site of the present Unitarian Church in Sharon.

Because of such religious differences among the parishioners, in 1821 eleven persons with Orthodox views were impelled to separate from the First Parish. It was on June 16, 1821, when they formed the Christian Society in Sharon. A new meetinghouse was constructed on the site of our current Church in 1822, but tragically a fire destroyed that building in 1838. With perseverance, the parishioners soon constructed a new building on the same site in 1839. That building, with the many additions and renovations over the years, is the Church you can visit today. The steeple overhead houses one of the two Revere bells in Sharon, made by the Revere Copper Company. The other bell is in the Unitarian Church.

In 1877 Church records began referring to our Church as the Orthodox Congregational Church of Sharon. The name changed again on January 14, 1915, when the church reorganized by incorporating under the name of “The First Congregational Church of Sharon.” During the 1960’s, many of the Congregational Churches throughout the United States joined with other smaller denominations to become the United Church of Christ. Thus, today we are known as “First Congregational Church of Sharon, UCC.” The year 2006 marked the 185th anniversary of the First Congregational Church of Sharon, and 266 years since the founding of the First Parish in the Second Precinct of Stoughton.

We invite everyone to envision being part of our new history each and every day.

Shirley Schofield
Parish Historian